Maybe you want it in order to shred through on your skis or snowboard, perhaps you desire it to build a friend out of snow, or to round the perfect projectile, or to mold yourself into the likeness of an Angel. Whatever the reason we all seem to love that sweet frozen water, and for good reason. As the winter waxes strong and the New Year approaches and frostings of snow start to cover the land, lets take a look at just how special, beautiful, and crucial our frozen friend really is.
Water, H20, the nectar of life. Truly without it our little 'Third Rock from the Sun' would not be the place we know and love, nor would we be alive to appreciate it. There is approximately 332.5 million cubic miles of water on Earth. Of this nearly 97% is found in Oceans and Seas and nearly 98% is saline (salty). That leaves a little over 2% of all Earth's water that is fresh water, the water that humans and many other plants and animals need to survive. Of this fresh water over 1.5% is frozen in glaciers, ice, and snow.
The key to our existence is locked away and kept secure in frozen water and groundwater. Every drifting, dazzling, unique snowflake is more than just a visual marvel, it is an investment in the stock of our lives. The Earth's snowpack is essential to the health of our rivers, lakes, and streams. The gradual release and replenishing of fresh surface water that only snowpack can naturally provide keeps us all alive.
So while you carve up that fresh powder, hurl a snowball at your best friend, and spread out your Angelic wings; take a moment to stare straight up into the falling snow and watch as it dances with your breath and remember each falling flake is a drop of beauty, fun, and life. So, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
Leave a Reply.